Best Overall Application - Grand Prize
Best Overall Application - 2nd Prize
Investor's Choice Application
Best Mobility Application
Best Green Application
Best Education Application
Best Health & Safety Application
Best NYC Mashup
Best Student Award
City Talent Award
Popular Choice Award - Grand Prize
Popular Choice Award - 2nd Prize
About the Challenge
NYC BigApps 3.0 offers $50,000 in cash and other prizes to software developers for the best new apps that utilize NYC Open Data to help NYC residents, visitors, and businesses. BigApps 3.0 continues New York City’s ongoing engagement with the software developer community to improve the City, building on the first two annual BigApps competitions through new data, prizes, and resources. Submissions can be any kind of software application — for the web, a personal computer, a mobile device, SMS, or any software platform broadly available to the public.
- Best Overall Application - Grand Prize
Opportunity to demo at NY Tech Meetup
App with the highest overall scores
- Best Overall Application - 2nd Prize
App with the second highest overall scores
- Investor's Choice Application
App with the best potential for commercialization
- Best Mobility Application
App that enhances urban mobility, making it easier to get around NYC
- Best Green Application
App that best encourages green behavior, improves environmental sustainability education, and/or reduces users’ environmental impact
- Best Education Application
App that best serves as a learning tool, improves educational access, and/or highlights NYC education resources/trends
- Best Health & Safety Application
App that best encourages healthy behavior, aids health education and understanding of health trends, and/or improves access to healthcare resources
- Best NYC Mashup
Best overall app utilizing both NYC Open Data and an API from a participating NYC company
- Best Student Award
Best app developed by full-time student(s)
- City Talent Award
Recognition prize for New York City employees and their immediate family members
- Popular Choice Award - Grand Prize
Opportunity to demo at NY Tech Meetup
App receiving the most public votes
- Popular Choice Award - 2nd Prize
App receiving second highest number of public votes
BigApps 3.0 entrants will have the opportunity to participate in several programs that help startups:
- TechStars will select at least two BigApps 3.0 entrants to be TechStars Finalists and participate in the final round of its highly selective startup acceleration program.
- Winners will be eligible to join the BigApps Founders Network, which provides BigApps winners with mentorship, networking, and business support services to help them launch or build their startups.
Co-founder, New York Tech Meetup
Founder & CEO, Betaworks
Managing Director, BMW iVentures
CEO & Co-founder, Hunch
Co-founder & General Partner, RRE Ventures
Founder and CEO, Next Jump, Inc.
Founder, CEO and Managing Director, FirstMark Capital
Commissioner, NYC Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications
Co-founder & Managing Director, DFJ Gotham Ventures
Senior Director, Head of Industry Transformation Department, Center for Economic Transformation, NYCEDC
Co-Executive Editor, All Things Digital
Managing Director, TechStars
Managing Partner, Union Square Ventures
- Quality of the Idea
Including creativity and originality
- Implementation of the Idea
Including user experience and design
- Potential Impact
On New York City residents and visitors
- Potential for Commercialization
This is only for the Investor's Choice Award
How to Enter
- Create an account on 2011.nycbigapps.com or log in with an existing ChallengePost account.
- On 2011.nycbigapps.com, click "Follow" to register your interest in participating. This step ensures that you will receive important challenge updates.
- Explore the available data sets on NYC Open Data, and also check out the Developer Resources. Create a working software application that uses at least one New York City data set from NYC Open Data.
- Between Oct. 11, 2011 at 7 p.m. EST and Jan. 25, 2012 at 5 p.m. EST, submit your application: (a) Confirm that you have read and agree to the Official Rules, and (b) Submit your application by including a link, video, text description, and image of your working application.
Note: It's important to include a video of your app. Some people may not have access to your app platform and will rely on the video. Be sure to create a video that clearly and concisely shows the functionality and purpose of your app, as well as the data used.